FORT LAUDERDALE, FL — Broward Navy Days, Inc. will host the 23rd annual Humana Military FLEET WEEK PORT EVERGLADES presented by Advocate Home Care Services, April 29-May 6, 2013. More than 2500 Sailors and Marines from the U.S. Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard will arrive at Port Everglades and participate in a week of activities, demonstrations and community service projects. Among the activities planned:
- “All Hands on Deck” Welcoming Party at Seminole Hard Rock Casino
- Red Cross Blood Drives
- Community Relations Projects at Local Schools, Hospitals, Civic Organizations
- Damage Control Olympics
- Public Ship Tours with Special Days for Students, Veterans, ROTC & Sea Cadets Groups
- “Galley Wars” Competition with Celebrity Judges
- Eldercare and Veterans Events sponsored by Advocate Home Care Services
- Run with the Military 5K and Beach Tug-of-War Sponsored by Rotary Club of Fort Lauderdale
Many events are free and open to the public. Advance reservations are required for naval ship and submarine tours and may be requested at BrowardNavyDaysInc.org. A complete schedule of events may also be found at BrowardNavyDaysInc.org.
“These great young Americans felt a call to serve their country and are routinely sent to represent our nation and defend our strategic interests at great personal risk. Hours are long, pay is low, and physical hardships and family separations are part of the job,” explained Mary Anne Gray, chair of Broward Navy Days, Inc. “Fleet Week provides an opportunity for the citizens of South Florida to meet and thank these heroes while witnessing first-hand the latest capabilities of today’s modern Navy and maritime services.”
BROWARD NAVY DAYS, INC. (BND) is a 501(c)(3), non-profit organization with a mission to support the morale, welfare, & recreation of our nation’s maritime services. Fleet Week Port Everglades 2012 – supported by title sponsor Humana Military Healthcare Services and presenting sponsor Advocate Home Care Services – is South Florida’s occasion to honor and celebrate our Sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen for their services to our country.